Registration is ongoing for the Library access card. Click here to register
Register as a patron and have access to all our Library resources
The objective of the library is derived from those of its parent institution, the University of Port Harcourt. It exists to provide books, non-book/electronic resources and ancillary services which are invaluable in extending and supporting the university’s programmes of teaching, learning and Research.
To achieve the above objectives, the library strives to:
- Develop its collection to a degree that is of relevance to the needs of the university community.
- Create avenues and adequate environment for the resources to be utilized fully by the University community.
- Give qualitative reference and information service to the clients.
- Encourage the technically competent staff to join with the teaching culture
The Lay-out of the Library
The Donald E.U. Ekong Library complex is made up of two wings A with three floors and B with two floors.
Wing A has the Documents unit and the Knowledge Commons on the first floor. The second floor of wing A house the University Librarian’s office, Technical Services Department, Finance Office and the Archives. The third floor houses the Thesis/Dissertation unit and the Research Commons
The main entrance and exit points to the library are on the ground floor of wing B. The Reference unit, offices and some book stack rooms are on the first floor of wing B. The other book stack rooms including offices, Elsevier E-Training Room, VTLS Cataloguing Room and the Server Room are located on the second floor of wing B.
- Reference Books- Including dictionaries and encyclopedias , handbooks, Annuals, gazettes, biographies- essential for basic background information to all subjects Available in the REFERENCE section
- Books on the open shelves- Includes a vast array of materials waiting on the open shelves. Use these materials to supplement your required reading and to write papers and assignments
- Journals- Magazines and periodicals on the shelves to complement the electronic resources available .Journals are located in the research section.
- Electronic resources- Thousands of electronic journals can be accessed through our various database .The list of titles to which the library provides access can be found via the libraries homepage. These databases provide access to full text journals on your PC.
- Documents.- Where you can find classified information concerning government agencies , International organisations e.g. WHO, UNITED NATIONS They also include statistical documents, material published by NGO’S ,Census, Legislation etc.
- Archives.- Provides documents and materials in retrospect concerning the University. It also contains back sets of journals and other materials.