DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Friday 26th May – Friday 2nd June 2023
- From Monday 29th May to Friday 2nd June 2023, Donald E.U. Ekong continued its library orientation programme for U-2022/2023 freshmen/women (Year One students). The programme is the practical library component of GES 100.1 (Use of English). The library played host to students of the Faculties of Education (138 students), Engineering (149 students), Agriculture (192 students) and Management Sciences (106 students). The University Librarian, Dr Helen U. Emasealu and her team conducted the exercise. The students received practical sessions on how to use the catalogue (OPAC) for retrieval of information in research. Dr Glory Edet, the Readers Services Librarian, made a presentation on the rules and regulations of the library.
- On Tuesday, 30th May, 2023, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, received 2 book donations from Dr. Emmanuel U. Makwe. The titles of the books are: Management Accounting for Good Decisions and Better Management, by Obera J.O. Jeremiah and Professional Ethics and Corporate Governance Principles for Accountants and Managers by Obera J. O. Jeremiah. Similarly, the Chairman of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Uniport Branch, Dr. Darlington Chima, donated a journal titled: ASUU Journal of Sciences to the Library. The University Librarian thanked the donors and used the occasion to request individuals, associations and organizations to donate books and other information materials to the Library.
- The American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized a programme tagged “Online Research Master Class” on Wednesday, 31st May 2023. The programme exposed participants to the effective use of Google tools for research and learning. Participants were drawn from the Department of Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling, Educational Management, Mathematics and Statistics, Curriculum Studies and Educational Technology, Mechatronics, Geography and Environmental Management.
- The Library received an update on its BioOne Database, https://bioone.org/ which gives registered faculty members and other researchers information from journals and multi-media collections that border on biological sciences and related disciplines.
- The knowledge and research commons sections on the first floor of the Library are opened to undergraduates and post graduates respectively who wish to access the library electronic resources using the ICT facilities in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor is opened to faculty members with internet access to all the subscribed databases.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 2% decrease from 1825 users in the previous week to 1,823 users in the current week.
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN