DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 19th – Friday 23rd June 2023
- The Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN), which was established by Act 12 of 1995 by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a Parastatal under the Federal Ministry of Education, held its national workshop for librarians and information managers at the University of Port Harcourt from Monday 19th to Thursday 23rd June 2023. The theme of the workshop was: “New Technological Trends: Application in Libraries.” The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill, Chairman of the opening ceremony, the Registrar, Dr. Gloria O. Chindah, and the University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, attended the opening ceremony. Others were the Registrar/CEO Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigeria, Alhaji J.A. Wase and his team, the Chairman of Nigerian Library Association, Rivers State Chapter, Dr. Chidaka O. Nyemezu and his team, and other librarians from Rivers State and different parts of Nigeria.As a resource person, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, presented a paper titled “New Technological Trends, Applications in the Library: An Overview”. The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill, commended the organisers for choosing the University of Port Harcourt, the fourth top-ranking University in Nigeria, as the venue for the 2023 edition of the workshop. The workshop organisers commended the Vice-Chancellor and the University Librarian for the warm reception and success of the workshop.The national workshop held at the University of Port Harcourt ICT Centre under the able leadership of Prof. Prince Asagba. Photos from the event can be viewed on the University Library’s social media pages.
- On Wednesday, 21st June 2023, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, received the following book donations:
- Two copies of “Islam in Yorubaland History, Education and Culture” edited by Prof. Muibi Opeloye, Murtala A. Badmos, Afis Oladosu and Ismail Musa. The Muslim Ummah of South-West Nigeria donated the book.
- Two copies of “Quality Management System in the Medical Laboratory” by Chukwuma C. Ohanele. The Emma Njoku Foundation donated the book.
- Two copies of “Lest I Forget: A Collection of Poems” by Chukwuma Ohanele. The Emma Njoku Foundation also donated the book.
- The American Corner, Port Harcourt, held an in-person programme titled “Time and Finance Management” on Thursday, 22nd June 2023. Prof. Samuel Ogunbiyi of the Department of Banking and Finance, Faculty of Management Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, facilitated the programme. It introduced participants to the appropriate use of financial resources in making investment decisions and employing cash management strategies to maximise profit and reduce risk. Tips on good planning, ways to measure income and expenditure, methods of debt reduction and recovery and exercises on time management were given to participants. Participants from the Departments of English Studies, Linguistics Studies, Foreign Languages and Literatures, Finance and Banking, Accounting, Surveying and Geo-Informatics, Hospitality and Tourism Management and Library Science attended the programme.
- On the recommendation of the Associate Dean, Faculty of Humanities, Dr. Obari Gomba, the University Library received Dr. Iva van Halen Pesa, a citizen of the Netherlands, who is to conduct academic research in Port Harcourt from 11th June to 3rd July 2023. The Head of the Reader Services Division, Dr. Glory Edet, issued her a temporary registration card for smooth access and utilisation of the library resources.
Other researchers in the University are encouraged to request their foreign research partners to patronise the Library to promote international collaboration and provide additional visibility for the University.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- The Library received an update on its National Virtual Library Database https://virtuall.nln.gov.ng/, an online multi-disciplinary digital library by the National Universities Commission to provide researchers with information in their different disciplines.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed an 80% increase from 1,748 users in the previous week to 3,070 users in the current week.
- Knowledge is power, and information is vital to its acquisition. Therefore, staff and students are encouraged to regularly seek information using Donald Ekong Library learning resources.
For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chatbox on the website of the Library as follows: http://library.uniport.edu.ng/
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN