DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 28th August – Friday 1st September 2023
- On Tuesday, 29th August 2023, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized two programs:
- 1st Program: Web Creation Program. This program was on creating and designing standard websites for organizations and institutions.
- 2nd Program: Online Marketing Program. This program was on marketing tips for creating, publishing and distributing content for a target audience.
Twenty-three (23) participants attended the two programs, and they were from the Faculties of Agriculture and Engineering. Some participants also came from outside the University community.
- On Friday, 1st September 2023, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized a workshop on “Applications for Teaching and Learning for High School Teachers”. The workshop applications are Question.AI, Socratic, Wolf Alpha, ChatGPT 3 and 4, Photofunia, Ino Readers, and other cutting-edge tools designed to harness a wealth of educational content for teaching and learning. The workshop opened with a welcome address by the University Librarian, Dr. Helen Emasealu, the Director of the American Corner, Port Harcourt. She thanked the Chief Host, Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt, for supporting the workshop. She expressed that the workshop was designed to provide high school teachers with the appropriate teaching methodologies for 21st-century learners and the importance of securing a conducive learning environment.
Dr. Samuel A. Eyitayo, Director of American Centre, Lagos, Nigeria, served as the resource person at the workshop. Dr. Eyitayo expertly guided participants through the practical utilization of innovative desktop and mobile applications designed for educational purposes. Fifty-two participants attended the workshop from secondary schools in Rivers State and the University of Port Harcourt as follows:
- Twelve (12) educators from Blessed Children Academy, Rumuokoro.
- Eleven (11) educators from Danmay International Academy, Aluu.
- Nine (9) educators from University Demonstration Secondary School, Aluu.
- Ten (10) educators from UPWA Secondary School, Uniport.
- One (1) student from the Faculty of Management Science, University of Port Harcourt.
- Two (2) students from the Faculty of Education, University of Port Harcourt.
- One (1) student from the Faculty of Engineering, University of Port Harcourt.
- Two (2) volunteers from American Corner, Port Harcourt, and Four (4) staff of Donald E. U. Ekong Library.
- One hundred and forty-seven (147) researchers patronized the American Corner in the week under review from the Faculties of Agriculture, Engineering, Communication and Media Studies and Computing.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- The library has received an update of its BioOne Database with the new content. https://bioone.org/ The database provides registered faculty members and researchers with information materials, journals, and multi-media collections related to biological sciences and allied disciplines.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 2% decrease from 202 users in the previous week to 140 users in the current week. The University Library welcomes our patrons back for the new semester.
For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chatbot on the website of the Library as follows: http://library.uniport.edu.ng/
The library is a veritable source of knowledge. Therefore, staff and students are encouraged to seek knowledge regularly using Donald Ekong Library learning resources.
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are as follows:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Twitter: @uniportlibrary YouTube: Uniportlibrary
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN